Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  5:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Dec.1 post on V.Port/NATS Article/Resonance

In a message dated 1/22/01 10:53:19 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Hello buzzcen@a...
>
> On 21-Jan-01, buzzcen@a... wrote:
> > In a message dated 1/21/01 11:19:21 PM Central Standard Time,
> > lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
> >

> >> Miller lists four ways in which the nasal port can be closed. Each of
> >> these ways is supported by research.
> >
> > I'd love to know what those ways are, it would involve a mechanism not
> > involved in the literature I've read concerning the velopharyngeal port.
> >

> All are listed in his book "Structure of Singing". My copy is at school. I
> will forward the information to you when I am in my office tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer Lloyd,

I went and checked it myself and it just describes the slightly different
ways the velum can close off the velopharyngeal port. Purse string verses
hatch door, etc. It is pretty common knowledge if you've studied
velopharyngeal incompetence or cleft palate patients.

Some of the research accounts for slight openings in the port for non-nasal
sounds, so while the port may have a slight opening, it is obviously not
creating a nasal sound.

Velum tends to seal off the port in a rather static manner (meaning the same
way every time) for each client depending on their physiology which is
determined by velum length (not including the uvula ... it is useless) and
the depth of the pharynx. Certain ratios in this equation will just not cut
it or will produce less than ideal occlusion. What can be done with these
patients? Not much unfortunately outside of some type of prosthetic or
velopharyngeal flap procedure.

As far as your own student's, you'll know if hypernasal phonation exists from
their speech. If it doesn't and the sound is nasalized while singing, some
other event is causing the velum to drop ... most likely a retracted tongue.
If no nasality is present in singing, sufficient closure exists. Attempting
to further close the port is useless because the velum has already done what
it is physically capable of doing ... all you're going to do is create
hypertonicity.

For those of you who believe that concentrating on lifting the palate
produces positive results, maybe it does for you, but most likely not for the
reasons you think. My suspicion is that it reconfigures the vocal tract in a
manner that produces more upper partials.

However, from my experience it is a useless pursuit and I stay away from it
as much as possible.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com