Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  3:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

Michael said:
> I had a teacher who demonstrated a sound that often is called nasality
that
> he described as squillo and claimed was actually the direct product of
the
> vocalis muscle. He described thyroarytenoids as producing the "ring" in
> the sound while the "edge" came from the vocalis.

Well, perhaps I am not remembering correctly, but I thought that the
thyroarytenoid muscle was made up of two parts, one being the external
thyroarytenoid, and the other being the vocalis muscle (or internal
thyroarytenoid). While "ring" has to do, at least in part, with
approximation of the vocal folds, I am not sure that isn't an
oversimplification of what occurs in producing a ringing tone. I, of
course, will defer to the pedagogic geniuses...

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas

"Singing has always seemed to me the most perfect means of expression. It is
so spontaneous. And after singing, I think the violin. Since I cannot sing,
I paint."
-Georgia O'Keeffe