Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  2:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

In a message dated 1/22/2001 7:21:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sheila@s... writes:
sheila@s... writes:

<<
In message <3.0.32.20010121232217.0070e1b0@p...>,
In message <3.0.32.20010121232217.0070e1b0@p...>,
michael.chesebro <michael.chesebro@w...> writes
michael.chesebro <michael.chesebro@w...> writes
>I had a teacher who demonstrated a sound that often is called nasality that
>he described as squillo and claimed was actually the direct product of the
>vocalis muscle. He described thyroarytenoids as producing the "ring" in
>the sound while the "edge" came from the vocalis. I have not yet found
>studies that verify these assertions. Has anyone on the list?>>

to which sheila graham responded:

<<This is pretty much what Jo Estill says - can't remember her website URL
(mike says: 'doesn't matter, it's just a marketing ploy') but I think it's
easily found in the main search engines. Maybe it gives
details on anything she's published on the subject.

I'm not sure if Gillyanne Keyes mentions anything on the subject in her
book - I bought it but to my shame haven't had time to read it yet. >>

sheila,

the thing you are talking about, kayes calls (ala estill) the 'twanger'.
for those of you who do not (and will never) have the book, it is described
as the aryepiglottic muscles squeezing the epiglottis into a tube that is
narrower than the rest of the throat. according to kayes, estill says this
creates a...uh...er...'ratio effect' (and i make fun of corelli?) that
creates the 'twang', ping, singer's formant, "tickles my nose", etc.

as i understand it, the perception of placement is the result of the
voice behaving in a certain way and not the cause of it. can you imagine
being a little league coach where your only instruction during batting
practice was "just aim for that blue car in the parking lot"?

mike

emusic.com