Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  12:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

Dear Michael and List,

In message <3.0.32.20010121232217.0070e1b0@p...>,
michael.chesebro <michael.chesebro@w...> writes
>I had a teacher who demonstrated a sound that often is called nasality that
>he described as squillo and claimed was actually the direct product of the
>vocalis muscle. He described thyroarytenoids as producing the "ring" in
>the sound while the "edge" came from the vocalis. I have not yet found
>studies that verify these assertions. Has anyone on the list?

This is pretty much what Jo Estill says - can't remember her website URL
but I think it's easily found in the main search engines. Maybe it gives
details on anything she's published on the subject.

I'm not sure if Gillyanne Keyes mentions anything on the subject in her
book - I bought it but to my shame haven't had time to read it yet!

FWIW, several experienced teachers whom I know, and also some of my own
pupils, say that they can feel a subtle change in their throat when they
use squillo. Personally, I don't feel anything in my throat; I know I am
using squillo when I can hear a particular high overtone in my head,
probably centred behind the top of my nose: but then, that's just me,
and what feels real to me may well not feel real to anybody else.

This squillo sound that we are talking about is definitely not nasal,
and I think, again FWIW, that there is a subtle laryngeal adjustment
being made by singers to produce the sound.

Someone (sorry have deleted the post and can't remember who) said
something along the lines of it not being a good idea to think about the
throat, because it induces tension. I realise that some teachers used to
avoid talking about the larynx much, possibly because not a lot was
known, but there is a lot going on in there! I think that singers can
chose to avoid thinking about their throats if they want, but I think
that anyone who teaches has a duty to try, somehow, to learn as much as
possible; they can then decide not to teach any of it, if they think
that is the right approach. But, if they do choose to teach what they
have learned, I am quite sure that it is possible to find ways of doing
this that do not induce tension.

Anyway, check out Estill!

Regards to all,

Sheila

Sheila Graham, Mezzo-Soprano
Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

emusic.com