Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  2:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: the hines book

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> > the one with rosa ponselle. "sing with a square
> > throat" she says is bad
> > enough but then, he tries to figure out the
> > placement of the square.

Wasn't that a Caruso thing too? And I think the square is in the back
of the throat below the uvula. Try it... it's a visualization. It's
weird!

> Another chapter that puzzles me is Anna Moffo's. I
> have heard and read so often that her voice lacked
> complete technique (often attributed to the fact that
> she got out of Curtis very young and immediately went
> to Italy and launched a career), and that is what
> derailed her and ruined her voice... and yet,
> everything she says in that chapter seems so right to
> me. Maybe she understood it but it didn't "stick"?
> Or maybe there was another piece of the puzzle she was
> missing... or maybe her vocal demise had nothing to do
> with faulty technique.

I believe her demise was her choice of repertoire as her career
progressed. She started singing Butterfly and heavier rep. Have you
heard her coloratura singing? Impressive. Some of her problems might
have been emotional, too... I hear that she still thinks she has a
career now.

> But Ponselle is a mystery. Of course, she did teach
> James Morris, and he seems to have worked out fine.
> But I certainly can't make heads or tails of her
> "square throat" business.

Very nice voice... a real artist. I heard his Dutchman this past
December at the Met. Was there for a week and saw 5 shows... very
interesting!

> Marilyn Horne's chapter reads like vocal suicide to
> me, all that manipulation and "yawn" feeling in the
> throat (of course, I don't like her voice and find her
> hooty and unlistenable). Just goes to show that what
> works for one singer doesn't work for another.

I wouldn't advocate a full yawn feeling in the throat! It depresses the
larynx. I was taught that is very dangerous and it's what ultimately
hurt Sherrill Milnes' voice. He was taught by Andrew White at
University of Cinci. and I briefly took from one of Andrew W's
students. Yawn, yawn, yawn. The lower the better. and hold it there.
It's not for me :-) A low larynx is good, but not depressed as in a
full yawn.

emusic.com