Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  3:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

In a message dated 1/21/01 9:32:42 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> The soft palate can be controlled indirectly through imitation of functions
> that achieve that control such as preparing for a sneeze, smelling a rose,
> etc. It is nearly impossible to raise the soft palate by simply deciding
> to do so. For this reason the suggestion of teachers to student to "raise
> the soft palate" is usualy counterproductive
>
> > None the less, the whole topic seems like a big waste of time unless
> > hypernasality exists.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this last statement. Can you explain in more
> detail?

Dear Lloyd:

I think we are essentially in agreement.

If hypernasality is not present the velum is raised. Focusing on raising it
at this point will only create hypertonicity and focus the singer's mind on
something that is a non-issue in the first place.

This is at the root of why I consider the whole issue of raising the soft
palate to be curious in the first place. 99.9% of the time it's not the
issue, it is already raised.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8588 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  1/21/2001   3 KB

emusic.com