Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  3:21 pm
Subject:  Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........

Dear Randy and Vocalisters:

On 21-Jan-01, you wrote:
> In a message dated 1/21/01 12:33:14 AM Central Standard Time,
> lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
>

>> It is possible to open the nasal port slightly and reduce the effect of
>> the
>>

> Lloyd,
>
> If I'm not mistaken, didn't you write a while back about the soft palate
> not behing under our direct control. If so, I'm a little confused because
> this post tends to indicate that various degrees of opening and closure
> are possible which would suggest a great amount of control.

The soft palate can be controlled indirectly through imitation of functions
that achieve that control such as preparing for a sneeze, smelling a rose,
etc. It is nearly impossible to raise the soft palate by simply deciding
to do so. For this reason the suggestion of teachers to student to "raise
the soft palate" is usualy counterproductive

> None the less, the whole topic seems like a big waste of time unless
> hypernasality exists.

I am not sure what you mean by this last statement. Can you explain in more
detail?

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA