Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Jan 21, 2001  2:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Dec.1 post on V.Port/NATS Article/Resonance

Goodness me Taylor, I am confounded!
These are exactly my considerations for the past month or so.

That is, how to ensure that the valum efficiently separates the
nasal cavity. I had open in front of me when I read your note,
The Structure of Singing pages 52/53. On page 53 Fig.4.4 the
valum is shown in its at rest position, while in the drawing on
page 52 it is shown sealing just as you describe thus maximising
Oropharynx space. : ) (Term from the book.)
It seems to me that the idea of a partially raised valum
is an anachronism. Either it is relaxed or it is sealed off as the
tone is produced. Although what would it be doing during the
nasal consonants?
Without the raising it would appear to me that pharyngeal
resonance would be seriously damped causing efficiency
reduction and noise.
I am fortunate enough to have had three days at a
Richard Miller seminar last week and his example of tone with
the valum both sealed and not sealed was one of the things
I was listening for and happily found.

Why should this particular matter be controversial?

Lowered larynx...I'm not so sure ; )

Thanks for consolidating my impression. Reg.

taylor23f@h...taylor23f@h...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8575 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ taylor23f@h...   Sun  1/21/2001   3 KB
8577 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  1/21/2001   7 KB
8578 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ Reg Boyle   Sun  1/21/2001   3 KB
8585 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  1/21/2001   4 KB
8595 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........ Reg Boyle   Sun  1/21/2001   3 KB
8596 Re: Velum/Spec analysis/Nasal Res........again taylor23f@h...   Sun  1/21/2001   3 KB

emusic.com