Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Sat Jan 20, 2001  5:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

Jeff wrote:

>But, in my now 15 plus years of teaching at the college level, I have
known students who have simply expected their teachers to do all the
work for them. Teach them their music, fix all their vocal problems,
find competitions for them to sing in, etc. It is certainly a two-way

street, the study of singing.

Yes, it certainly is a two-way street. I try to make it clear to students
on the front end that the reason they are taking lessons is to learn to be
their own voice teacher. We also do goal setting and talk about what their
responsibilities are in the process. If we lose sight of these things
during the semester, we refresh our memories. My students know that I expect
a lot of them, and of course, some students don't come to my studio for that
very reason, but that's fine with me.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com