Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 20, 2001  2:12 pm
Subject:  Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

> --- Greypins@a... wrote:
> > heather,
> >
> > it is you who should expect something from your
> > college professors, not
> > the other way around. if you don't get it, fire
> > them.
> >
> > mike

I have a bit of a problem with this. First, let me say, I have had
teachers who have made such brilliant contributions to my development
as, "No, that's wrong. Fix it."

But, in my now 15 plus years of teaching at the college level, I have
known students who have simply expected their teachers to do all the
work for them. Teach them their music, fix all their vocal problems,
find competitions for them to sing in, etc. It is certainly a two-way
street, the study of singing.

Every semester as we get near the end, I tell our students, "If you
haven't been practicing, now would be a good time to start." It
always gets a laugh, but some of it is the nervous laughter of the
students who know I'm talking about them!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com