Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 19, 2001  4:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] British dialects

In a message dated 1/18/01 11:11:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cspradli@t... writes:
cspradli@t... writes:

<< Any 'north-of the-Home Counties' accent is one and the same to
most Americans and if you even get that right it's saying something.

Well this American, who has spent only a couple of months in the U.K., gets
most her BritCom and Masterpiece Theatre, Channel 4 and BBC fixes on this
side of the pond. I was upset when the housemaid in a made-for-T.V.
production of The Secret Garden did not get the Yorkshire accent right. She
sounded as if she were trying to do Cockney. How do I know the Yorkshire
accent. Why from "All Creatures Great and Small," of course!!!

emusic.com