Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shuff@c...
Shuff@c...
Date:  Thu Jan 18, 2001  9:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:

> As an addendum, we require all vocal performance majors to turn in
6
> reports per semester about their listening to song recital or opera
> performances from recorded material in our library. Each report
> follows a form that steers the student toward developing a more
> accurate analyses of what he/she is hearing. We do this because
most
> students do not have much of a background in song recital or opera
> performances nor are they even slightly familiar with the really
> great singers available on record.

Professor Hanson -

What I found perplexing was that so many of my fellow voice majors
found this to be a real thorn in their sides - that they should HAVE
to attend performances, and listen to recordings. WHY WOULDN'T YOU
WANT TO?! They only seemed to care, as I wrote, about songs THEY
were singing, or operas THEY had a scene in/were doing - the rest be
hanged...... When I was an undergrad, I ate it all up with a spoon -
spent hours in the library, rhapsodizing over Pavarotti and Te
Kanawa, etc., like a kid in a candy store! I also thoroughly enjoyed
attending recitals and concerts - even things outside my area - like
organ recitals, etc. Can anyone explain this narrowness of outlook
to me? Any young voice majors out there that HATE to go to
recitals? Or do listening?

Sarah

emusic.com