Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shuff@c...
Shuff@c...
Date:  Thu Jan 18, 2001  4:40 pm
Subject:  Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "David Grogan"
<dgrogan@e...>
> wrote:

> We expect you to practice several times a week, if not daily. We
> expect you to attend concerts and recitals and to listen to
> recordings (sometimes there are specific requirements, but we
always
> expect that you will WANT to do these things!)

I'm chiming in again on this one - I was appalled as well, in both
undergrad and grad school at the lack of knowledge, and really, the
lack of caring, in fellow students about the world of opera and/or
song. Most students I encountered were unconcerned with anything
that didn't affect them directly - they didn't know about singers,
performances, etc. I went to grad school with a girl who had never
heard of La Traviata! She ended up doing Violetta two years later,
at the same school..... I never understood this in other students -
I'd think, it's your major, for God's sake! But to no avail.....

Sarah

emusic.com