Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
"Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
Date:  Wed Jan 17, 2001  7:51 pm
Subject:  Stage Fog Article

Dear Vocalisters:
Here's a little article about stage fog...I know this subject has been done
in the last few weeks...just wanted to share from a news source.
Brenda

Stage fog blamed for vocal problems

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Those clouds of manmade fog that dazzle
audiences nightly at operas, concerts and Broadway shows around the
country may be doing more than creating atmosphere. Opera chorus
singer Pamela Dale says the fog is making her cough. Even worse, she
says, it is keeping her from reaching high notes during
performances. "I'm just trying to keep my job," Dale says. "But how
can you sing when you're coughing?" Dale, who sings with the San
Francisco Opera, is one of many performers from New York to Seattle
who have filed workers' compensation claims complaining of
respiratory problems, throat irritation and other ailments that they
blame on theatrical fog. The type of fog that has given Dale the
most problems, she says, is made from a chemical called glycol. It
has been found to be safe in a number of studies and is used without
problems in many performances. But over the past 18 months, the
52-year-old singer has filed more than 50 complaints with the
Occupational Safety and Health Administration, resulting in nine
citations.

Full article at: http://www.infobeat.com/fullArticle?article=405856318

emusic.com