Vocalist.org archive

From:  R.L.Frye@w...
R.L.Frye@w...
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Audition Repertoire

Sarah wrote:

> I'm seeking viewpoints on audition repertoire.
Specifically, what
> choices have you made, or choices do you wish you
hadn't made, in
> order to show what your voice can do in an audition?
What would you
> teachers/judges rather hear - difficulty of repertoire
or ease of
> production?

Sarah,

My priorities, having played singer, teacher and judge
in this game at various times, are:

1. Do what you sing best and what is absolutely within
your ability, even on a bad day.
2. Definitely include unusual and/or difficult
repertoire, but only if it meets the criteria in #1.

Yes, judges want to hear impressive singing. But what
is most impressive is solid, even technique. Anything
beyond that is an extra treat.

You don't need to make yourself crazy by including
repertoire about which you aren't absolutely confident;
there are enough stresses to auditioning already. And
Murphy's Law will be in effect - they WILL choose the
one piece you listed which you were really hoping they
wouldn't choose. It happened to me in the finals of a
competition. I didn't win.

Best of luck to you!

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York

> Hello, Vocalisters -
>
> I'm seeking viewpoints on audition repertoire. Specifically, what
> choices have you made, or choices do you wish you hadn't made, in
> order to show what your voice can do in an audition? What would you
> teachers/judges rather hear - difficulty of repertoire or ease of
> production?
>
> My situation is this: I have been invited to an in-person audition
> for the D.M. program at a major university, after having submitted my
> pre-screening tape. The tape contained a full range of repertoire,
> with some of it being quite challenging/difficult, in terms of vocal
> demands. I am currently without a teacher, and am returning to
> school (I hope) after a six year absence, a couple of kids, a recent
> divorce, full time job, etc. - needless to say, my life is very
> stressful right now! I sent my former teacher (who has moved away)
> the tape so that she could hear it - she said that it was fine, but
> sounded strained, and that I need to be more diligent about
> vocalizing (not much of a confidence booster, but she's concerned for
> me).
>
> As long as I keep the repertoire I bring within the same guidelines,
> I can change from what I submitted on the tape. My inclination is to
> pare back the more difficult repertoire and include only those things
> which I know I can sing very, very well - even under a great deal of
> stress, rather than stretching myself to do the more difficult
> pieces, perhaps with strain. What do you think? I am interested to
> hear from both sides - singers/students and teachers/judges.
>
> I look forward to your discussion/responses.
>
> Sarah

emusic.com