Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  6:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 'All music is about sex' and other quotes from Barbara Bonney's lessons for amateur singers

Dear Judy and co vocalisters,

Judy wrote:
'Oddly, though, I do not consider Ms. Bonney's singing (at least in art song
literature) to be very highly sexual. [...] To my ears, her voice fully
blossomed only in the Scandanavian songs, when it
took on a wonderful full and vibrant golden qualilty that was quite stunning.'

I just listened to my Bonney CD's again, and the Mozart, Schumann and Schubert
songs I also know from her, are indeed in that aspect all quite different from
the Scandiavian songs on her new 'Diamond in the snow' CD.

So I share your opinion in this issue. I will not give a amateur psychological
explanation for this, alhough I am quite tempted, since Scandinavia is where BB
lived with the before mentioned HH, well, enough of that. Maybe it is just
because she started to work on this repertoire later then the other, although
even this is unsure.

Thanks for the observation,

best greetings,

Dré