Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  3:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Water

In a message dated 01/16/2001 8:47:30 AM Central Standard Time,
classicalsinger@e... writes:
classicalsinger@e... writes:

<< One of the funniest things concerning water intake I ever heard was
Fedora Barbieri... in a master class she said not to drink water.
"Nobody drank water when I was singing." She hated that singers always
have to have their water bottles and said it is bad for you because it
makes you stop making saliva. >>

Well, according to Shirlee Emmons, drinking water up to an hour before
singing is good for hydration; but later than that or during singing actually
strips the mucus from your cords, which you need, of course, for lubricaiton.
I'm not sure exactly how that works because it's not like the water actually
comes in contact with your cords unless you're CHOKING, but all I can say is
that since I started following Ms. Emmons' recommendation of eating apple
wedges prior to singing, I have not suffered from dryness at all during
singing.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com