Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  12:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] singing and health (and weight) and Atkins diet

It is not a no carbohydrate diet, it's an extremely low carbohydrate diet.
It's stressful since the muscles including the heart are forced to
metabolize ketone bodies instead of glucose. While I am unaware that it
affects the voice directly, it can affect energy. If the carbos are too
low, it can affect thinking since the brain can only metabolize glucose.

The problem is that almost everyone who loses weight on this diet goes back
to the old way of eating and regains all the weight and sometimes more. The
ONLY way to effectively lose weight and maintain the loss is to eat smaller
quantities of all healthy foods. I will not get into the vegetarian vs
omnivorous diet except to say that it is hard to eat too much as a
vegetarian. Of course, even a vegetarian can eat too many donuts/ice
cream/cookies, etc.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

> I'm in the 5th day of beginning an Atkin's Diet. I know there are
> reservations galore about this, just as there are about any form
> of diet, but given that this one is a NO carbohydrate diet, at least in
the
> first 12 days, what are the implications for muscle and fold changes?

emusic.com