Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  9:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] musicals with "operatic" roles

>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>
>"Legit" Musical Roles sung by opera "crossover" singers:
>
>Joe in SHOW BOAT (role taken over from Robeson by Todd Duncan on
>Broadway, and later revived by William Warfield)

FYI: The role of Joe was originated on Broadway by Jules Bledsoe, who
played the role in the 1929 (yes, 1929!) movie starring Jeanne Eagles.
Robeson played Joe in the first London cast, in a Broadway revival in the
early 1930s, and in the 1936 film-- which also featured a good chunk of the
original Broadway cast.

>Anna in THE KING AND I (sung in New York revival by Rise Stevens after she
>left the Met)

Jeannette MacDonald capped her career with a short Midwest tour in "The King
and I."

Come to think of it, "The Most Happy Fella" has a *wealth* of legit roles,
both principals and bit parts. The only belter in the lot is Cleo.

Elizabeth Finkler
NO, RAIDERS! DON'T DROP THAT BALL!
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"An enemy can partially ruin a man, but it takes a well-meaning and
injudicious friend to really finish the job and make it perfect." --Mark
Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson"