Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  8:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] musicals with "operatic" roles

This is definitely a matter of opinion, of course, so with that in mind,
here's mine ....

Lessee ... musical theater soprano roles that call for operatic voice --
off the top of my head:

THE SOUND OF MUSIC -- the Mother Superior definitely calls for an
operatic voice -- one of the few that are "right" for a dramatic soprano

INTO THE WOODS -- Cinderella's mother; Rapunzel (my opinion -- more of a
soubrette sound, but definitely operatic)
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC -- I believe two of the three female
"liebeslieders" are sopranos, and definitely need operatic voices
BARNUM -- Jenny Lind
CHESS -- Florence (I think that's her name)
PHANTOM -- the Maury Yeston one -- Carlotta

I know there are more -- I'm at work at the moment. If I think of more,
I'll send them along.

Cheers!

Lana

--
Explain it as we may, a martial strain will urge a man into the front
rank of battle sooner than an argument, and a fine anthem excite his

emusic.com