Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  5:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] starting over again

Can you affort to take lessons. Seven years ago, I "resumed" singing
after 8 years of literally not singing at all. Before that, I sang folk
music, choral music, and a little musical theatre, but had never studied
formally.

I auditioned for the teacher my very sensitive friend was studying with
and highly recommended. She accepted me, and after only two months, I
could hear a HUGE improvement in my voice, which was virtually nonexistent
when I started with her. Later,the teacher confessed to me that she had
almost refused to teach me because she thought there would be nothing to
work with.

Now, seven years later, I'm preparing for vocal competitions, have sung in
operas, operettas, and musicals, and my voice seems to only get better.
It's taken longer than I'd have liked, because I have a "day job" which
prevents me from devoting as much time to singing as I'd like, but given
this limitation, I'm quite pleased with my progress.

So my main piece of advice would be for you to find a good teacher who is
willing to "recondition" an "out of shape" voice.

Karen
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: