Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  1:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] singing and health (and weight)

Claudia and list,
About 5 years ago the American laryngologist Robert Sataloff wrote an article
on female singers, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and singing. It appeared
in an issue of the NATS journal. My recollection of the article is that
Sataloff suggested that female singers find their baseline estrogen levels
while in their 30's or 40's (I honestly don't recall which) and maintain that
level through HRT once menopausal. I mentioned this to my laryngologist and he
seemed a bit surprised by Sataloff's recommendation. It's certainly food for
thought.

I am 52 and on HRT, principally for vocal reasons. I have been menopausal for
almost 5 years and notice no difference in the way I feel or function now, on
daily estrogen/progesterone as compared with the time before menopause. It has
been good for me but each of us is different.
Cindy Donnell
-----
I would very much appreciate any additional information about weight, high
voice and hormones since I'm on a diet(slow) and going through hell with the
first symptoms of menopause.
Cheers,

Claudia Ribeiro
Sao Paulo,Brazil

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8378 Re: singing and health (and weight) Lee Morgan   Mon  1/15/2001   2 KB

emusic.com