Vocalist.org archive

From:  gsanders@b...
gsanders@b...
Date:  Sun Jan 14, 2001  9:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Graham returns! and Auditioning in Germany

on 14/1/01 4:07 AM, Isabelle Bracamonte at ibracamonte@y... wrote:
what the
situation is like in Germany for American singers
these days? I've heard that the market has vanished

Is it hopeless? Is it all exaggeration and Germany is
still a great place to pick up experience and build a
career?

Thanks for the notes everyone! What have I been doing? Well I am still
singing Jenufa in Dresden. I have now 4 productions of Die Walküre behind
me. All of these were in less than 1 year. I am singing Boris in
Flensburg. Next season, I will sing Otello in Flensburg, more Walküre and
then for the Edinburgh Festival Siegfried. The season after this we add
Götterdämmerung. All in all things are looking up. Almost forgot, I am no
longer in Bremen. I had too much work to keep me there.

As regards to the question above. Yes, the situation is a lot worse. I
really donıt know anymore what the best thing to do is. Audition season is
now all the time. I auditioned for the Boris in the end of August, and the
rehearsals started in the beginning of Nov.! I think that the best thing to
do is to make sure that you are completely ready to audition. I would try
the field out in New York with auditions there first. Only to see what
reaction you get. The finance investment is far greater these days, because
you will need to come for about 1 year. Also, it is hard to judge where
your real standard is in comparision with professional singers.

Ciao,

Graham

Heldentenor
gsanders@b...
gsanders@b...
http://www.Heldentenor.theartzone.net
http://www.geocities.com/grahamsanders.geo

Tel: +49 (0)421 417-2349
Fax: +49 (0)421 417-2348 or (089) 2443 - 50310
Mobile: +49 (0)172 566-5754

emusic.com