Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Sun Jan 14, 2001  3:56 am
Subject:  Rorem Holy Songs was Re: Recital repetoire question

Jeff and List,
I beg to differ regarding the Rorem Cycle of Holy Songs being "very
difficult and VERY high." I would say they are of moderate difficulty.
If you are a good reader and have a good pianist they are sight readable
with little difficulty. They are of medium to medium high tessitura.
Mezzos,
tenors and sopranos of all sorts should be able to sing the pieces.
For anyone interested - details of range are in the next paragraph.

Using the system of middle C as C1, the c above as C2 Psalm 134
is in EM and stays within the staff except for 2 occurences of D#1
and 1 G#2. Psalm 142, DM, is within the staff but for a handful of b's
below middle c and G2's. Psalm 148, rhythmically is syncopated
throughout. Range from Db1 to G2. The last, Psalm 150 is probably
the most demanding in that the vocal lines are quite "rangy." The
range of the second phrase is from D1 to A2 - and octave and a fourth.
It is maestoso and has the most sustained high notes of the cycle.
The sustained high notes are G2 and there are 4 eighth-note A2's.
Cindy Donnell

>I was thinking of the Rorem before you got to that point in your
message. I had a girlfriend do them when I was at Indiana, They are
good, but very difficult and VERY high. You might look at his "Cycle
of Holy Songs."
snip
-Jeff Snider>

snide76258@a...dorisopran@a...