Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jan 14, 2001  1:21 am
Subject:  Minimalism as a musical style

Dear Dr. John and Vocalisters

Minimalism as a compositional style works if you allow the excessive
diversity of ideas that are expressed through variation, an opportunity to
work. The outward appearance of this music seems dull and boring because
the same material or very little material is used over and over again. But
by using less it is possible to create more through variation.

I would probable never have been attracted to this music were it not that my
daughter has premiered three of Phillip Glass' works (The Fall of the House
of Usher, Hydrogen Jukebox, and The White Raven). I became aware that few
orchestra musicians can play this music correctly because they
underestimate its difficulties. It is not uncommon for the conductor to
reduce the number of rehearsals because the musicians play the same thing
over and over again. But each group of repeats of the material is a
variation. One conductor thought he was aware of all of these variation
only to discover that Glass had to spend an hour coaching him on only the
first few pages.

Consequently, the music is so complex that it is difficult for the mind to
absorb. The attention shuts down and the music appears boring. It is
really the opposite of boring.

Glass picked up these concepts in the music of India and his work with Ravi
Shanker, and through his devotion to Buddhism.

Minimalism is not to everyone's liking but I have friends who cannot stand
anything by Wagner for the same reasons.

Such an interesting art, this Music.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA