Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  7:26 am
Subject:  SCIENTIFIC CRAP WAS: Dementia&musical tastes

Cindy wrote:

> NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Dementia--an illness that causes the loss of
> memory and reasoning--may in some cases bring with it gains, such as a new
> appreciation of pop music, Italian researchers suggest.
>
> In the journal Neurology, investigators report two cases where patients
with
> frontotemporal dementia suddenly began to enjoy pop music.

That reminded me those people with autism or autism-like mental deseases who
develop a great ability to play classical music . There's even a syndrome
with two very specific traces: sociability and musicianship, although
they're basically retarded. I started studying cognitive science at the
university and I don't recall reading anything like "[i]n our patients, the
lesions...may have damaged some specific circuit relevant for the
integration and appreciation of musical material" when referring to those
people, and never read anything relating social skills to a problem in the
brain.

That's what I call pseudo-science, mostly when I read it has been detected
" in 2 of the 46 frontotemporal dementia patients during" the last 5 years.
The other 44 may have developed the ability to fly or any other 'damages',
"but physicians fail to detect them simply because they do not look for
them".

But what was most shocking was to read that "[i]t is possible that
FUNCTIONAL GAINS are more frequent than
believed", while they said above that those lesions "may have DAMAGED
specific circuit relevant for the integration and apreciation of musical
material."

I wonder where that scientist would have 'gained' that scientific analysis
'functional damage'.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size