Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 12, 2001  3:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Acting audition accent advice?

In a message dated 01/11/2001 2:49:20 PM Central Standard Time,
mightymezzo@h... writes:

<< I thinking of using one of the Old Lady's speeches from "Candide," as I
just
played the role last summer. When I played the Old Lady, I used a weird
half-Spanish half-French half-Yiddish accent. (She's easily assimilated,
after all.) For the auditions, I thought I would use an accent, not as
extreme as the performance dialect, but noticeable.

Anyone think that this is a mistake? Should I just go with my normal
civilized East Coast Fluffyan Usonian speech? >>

I personally think you should use whatever dialect is appropriate to the
character. You wouldn't go in and do Shakespeare like you come from Chicago
- unless that's the direction of that particular production.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com