Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  9:08 pm
Subject:  weak area

For me, whenever I get sick, it's 99% of the time right in the throat,
larynx, trachea area. I sing correctly too. I am not sure why this
happens. Could it be because we open the throat when we sing and
viruses and bacteria can get in there without benefit of the filtering
of the nasal passages?
Just a guess.
What to do about it: I use Duratuss, a prescription expectorant which
thins out any mucus I may have. It's very mild and doesn't cause
dryness. I also take the herb Echinacia (sp?) at the first sign of any
trouble and if I can't fend it off completely without it even getting
started, it doesn't last long. I have also had good results from Zinc
lozenges. I like the natural ones from the health food store.
This stuff really works.
Often, I can sing when I cannot even speak, though. If she must sing,
then she should warm up very slowly, and as long as there is no pain
(!)
she should be able to sing.
It's those darn kids. If you're around children, they will bring
around
any kind of little virus which happens to be circulating.
Good Luck.

Gina

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8410 Re: weak area Patricia M Smith   Tue  1/16/2001   3 KB

emusic.com