Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Bradshaw <songful@c...>
Sally Bradshaw <songful@c...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  8:47 pm
Subject:  singing and health

Mike's ha ha message aside, I would love to know if anyone is aware of
research on the subject of the effect of singing on health. There is a
body of work on the subject and I know there have been interesting
findings.

I realise that there has been a tradition of very overweight singers and I
have heard that Caballe claimed she needed the "ballast" to keep her
breathing rooted low enough on the body to enable it, paradoxically, to
float effortlessly up. Also I realise that very demanding singing causes
weight to drop off which needs replacing. (I have heard 3-4 lbs in an
evening of opera.) But opera singers are often a normal size now and the
tradition of very heavy singers seems to be passing.

Any views?

Best to all

Sally

Greypins@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8251 Re: singing and health Greypins@a...   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB
8254 Re: singing and health Sheila Graham   Fri  1/12/2001   3 KB
8315 Re: singing and health john schweinfurth   Sat  1/13/2001   3 KB
8350 Re: singing and health Elizabeth Finkler   Sun  1/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com