Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  8:34 pm
Subject:  Acting audition accent advice?

Hey gang,

I'm auditioning for a couple of theater companies in the next couple of
weeks. Both auditions require one song (no problem) and a memorized
monologue.

I thinking of using one of the Old Lady's speeches from "Candide," as I just
played the role last summer. When I played the Old Lady, I used a weird
half-Spanish half-French half-Yiddish accent. (She's easily assimilated,
after all.) For the auditions, I thought I would use an accent, not as
extreme as the performance dialect, but noticeable.

Anyone think that this is a mistake? Should I just go with my normal
civilized East Coast Fluffyan Usonian speech?

Elizabeth Finkler
GO RAIDERS!
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"An enemy can partially ruin a man, but it takes a well-meaning and
injudicious friend to really finish the job and make it perfect." --Mark
Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson"

8235 Re: Acting audition accent advice? dorisopran@a...   Thu  1/11/2001   2 KB
8249 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Greypins@a...   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB
8252 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Mezzoid@a...   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB
8257 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Peter Louis van Dijk   Fri  1/12/2001   5 KB
8279 Auditions for Opera/Music Theatre Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  1/12/2001   3 KB
8258 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Margaret Harrison   Fri  1/12/2001   3 KB
8259 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Margaret Harrison   Fri  1/12/2001   3 KB
8271 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Elizabeth Finkler   Fri  1/12/2001   3 KB
8278 Re: Acting audition accent advice? Peter Louis van Dijk   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB

emusic.com