Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  3:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vibrant Onset

If it take a little time for the vibrato to kick in there is something
being held that you should trust to... um... relax (relatively speaking).
Maybe if you keep your jaw gently mobile...?
I don't know why, but if I really drop my jaw, my vibrato rate slows in
the way you describe, and if I think of a 'darker' tone concept (and first
thing in the morning or last thing at night).
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope that your vibrato is
something that you *allow* to happen rather than something you make by
wiggling things. I say this because you have talked about *creating* a
sound, when to me the process is more one of *discovering* a sound. Jazz
singers in particular often resort to a manufactured vibrato (perhaps in
imitation of Sidney Bechet's soprano sax? - I had hardly heard of him until
last night's PBS broadcast - wow!). But maybe it's just a semantic thing. john

At 02:08 AM 1/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a hard time creating a sound that is vibrant (vibratoed) from
>the first instant. It almost always takes a fraction of a second for
>the vibrato to kick in. I've studied for three years with a very
>prominent vocal guru, and for all practical purposes he has given up
>on me in this area. I graduate soon, and I still have this problem.
>
>Related to this, my vibrato is too slow in the middle voice in
>general (F#3-B3), especially for a tenor like me. It's usually
>around 5 cycles per second, sometimes even as slow as 4.5
>(particularly on the open [a] vowel or when I try to sing softly).
>It can be as fast as 5.4 on a VERY good day, particularly if I sing
>louder, the stars are in alignment, etc... It does get better up
>top, from high G on up. Here it usually averages about 5.5
>cps...still not overly fast, but I would love it if I could at least
>do this consistently, throughout my range. Suggestions?
>
>-John (a nearly disgruntled tenor) ;)
>

>--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, >> making a healthy onset. I think (know) my attacks are too harsh.

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8227 Various technical questions... John   Thu  1/11/2001   5 KB
8263 Re: Various technical questions... John Alexander Blyth   Fri  1/12/2001   5 KB

emusic.com