Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  9:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vibrant Onset

john,

without hearing you, it is hard to know exactly what is going on
however, it could be that you may be listening to yourself too much while you
are singing as opposed to thinking about what you are doing. sound is the
result of an action and, although it is almost undiscernably behind, it is
behind nonetheless.

singing is an action. in doing an action we are very aware of what we
are presently doing at a given moment. even more so, we are most aware of
what we are about to do. this places our attention on what has not happened
yet rather than what we have already done. in other words, to make analogy
to driving a car, it is better to look out the front window to see where you
are going than to look out the back window to see who that was you just hit.

as you have already said yourself, when you are singing louder and
higher and in a generally more dynamic mode, your vibrato increases. i
would suggest you think of singing phrases and to think ahead rather than
being quite so 'anal' about what you are hearing. you can always use a tape
recorder to judge the quality or your results after you're done singing.

mike

emusic.com