Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
"Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
Date:  Tue Jan 9, 2001  2:24 pm
Subject:  Re: file sharing and copyright issues

I've forwarded this question to my friend who works as a copyright examiner at
the Library of Congress. I'll post his reply to the list, provided he has time
to reply and gives me his permission.

Marje
mbunday@e...
mbunday@e...

Isabelle asked (speaking of recorded arias):
<<Is it wrong (legally or morally) to put slices of each
one up as a file on the vocalist-temporary egroups
site? We're making such great use of the "files"
system, but I'm not sure where "fair use" and
educational purposes conflict with copyright. I
imagine I couldn't send up all seven arias whole and
uncut -- but to illustrate a certain phrase and
differing types of ornamentation or attacks or squillo
or whatever we're debating at the moment, a phrase? A
verse? Or nothing?>>

emusic.com