Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  7:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Voices Fading in the Fog

Greypins@a... wrote:

> surely you can't be comparing occasional exposure to a mineral oil
> fogger to the conditions that cause black lung disease? it is exactly this
> type of comparison that makes me suspicious of the degree of some singer's
> complaints.
>
> i can only speak from my own experience and yes, my experience is
> limited and may not be the norm. however, fraud exists in all walks of life
> and it has been my experience that the world of opera is not untainted by
> fraudulent claims. and once again, it is the fraudulent claims that dilute
> the legitimacy of the complaints of people who really do have problems. i
> include exageration as fraudulent.

Again, why ASSUME someone's faking it? Some people have allergies or other
conditions,
and it only takes one exposure. Sometimes an allergy or sensitivity doesn't
exist, but an
exposure days running in a single production can cause the sensitivity to
develop, and
once developed, the next time out exposure might happen (say a year later), it
only takes
one exposure to have the symptoms of sensitivity recur? Do you have medical
training or
experience? Why assume fraud is happening before you know otherwise, simply
because you,
one person, weren't bothered by stage fog on a single occasion?

Myself, my first exposure to this stuff, in a space that wasn't terribly
well-ventilated,
my sinuses started filling and my throat felt scratchy. This was before I
started
singing. (I'm somewhat allergic/sensitive in the nasal area, though not so
much that I
bother taking antihistimines--I just live with a little stuffiness a lot of the
time,
which doesn't affect my singing in any way.) I wasn't the only one with that
reaction, so
our director dispensed with the fog machine, because we also had the audience,
with
children in it, mind you, to think of.

By the way, Mike, do you know of a single fraudulent claim regarding stage
fog, are you
speculating that there MIGHT be fraud, or do you believe that people are
inherently
dishonest so there must be fraud?

Mike, one more acid test of your feelings on this topic. If you were the
father of a
young child (and maybe you are and we can dispense with the conditional tense),
would you
want that young child to be forced to breathe in stage fog, or would you be
perfectly
comfortable that it is safe for a child so that you wouldn't give it a second
thought? If
you would be comfortable, how many exposures would it take for your comfort
level to
decrease significantly?

Peggy

--