Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  6:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stage Fog & Church Incense

At 08:28 PM 1/5/01 -0600, Leslie wrote:
>This thread reminds me of a related (for me) problem: do any of you who do
>(or have done) music in high Episcopal or Catholic churches (can't remember
>if Lutherans use it as well) had problems singing during a processional
>while following a trail of incense? There were always a couple of us in
>every choir who fought coughing fits as soon as the thurifer started
>swinging....

When the incense starts, I always feel a little tickle at first; but it
passes quickly. The smoke would probably bother me more if I love it so
much. After the priest finishes smoking up the altar and hands the thurible
back to the deacon, I'm looking for him to come over and give us in the
choir a "swing". But that's just on special feast days when we're seated
behind the altar in the parish hall. On other days, when we're in the
chapel, we're high up in the choir loft where the smoke doesn't reach us.

GWendel, tenor, Catholic, and asthmatic

emusic.com