Vocalist.org archive

From:  Bob Kravitz <bobkravitz@e...>
Bob Kravitz <bobkravitz@e...>
Date:  Fri Jan 5, 2001  4:55 pm
Subject:  Tonight on PBS

Bravo James...........If people can put a song over in any manner, That's
Talent!!
I Opera,Broadway and Pop and in my one man show. That's what I do and I get a
variety of audience. It's fun and I enjoy it. The audience sees and hears this
and they have a great time. That's what it's all about, Entertaining and
Enjoying It yourself. Bobby, Philly

james wintle wrote:

> Yes, Ms. Fleming put her self through school singing jazz. But, it's not
> like she was doing a week at the Village Vanguard or something.
> I heard her in recital recently, and she ended with a few jazz tunes
> including a scat solo on 'it don't mean a thing...'. I enjoyed it very
> much, as did the majority of the people who were standing up and clapping
> after it was over. I don't have a problem with singing jazz with 'classical
> resonance'. I do have a problem with singers imposing their own vocal
> mannerisms (be it through diction or whatever) on any music. This includes
> all singers singing anything. Not just crossover performances. I believe
> that Duke Ellington and Schubert deserve the same respect from a performer
> and Ms. Fleming is doing that in my opinion. Maybe her schtick just doesn't
> translate well onto TV.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bobkravitz

The Second you awake,It's a Fantastic Day!

emusic.com