Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
"saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Thu Jan 4, 2001  7:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Air Purification?

I feel everyone would benefit from a HEPA filter in the home. Despite all
the talk about air pollution we forget the most polluted air is inside. The
push to seal buildings for energy savings means we live in sealed boxes.

Make sure you get true HEPA, which is a medical grade air filter. Noise is
an issue so
turn it on before you buy. I find bigger units can be run on lower settings
and therefor almost silent. The prefilter, which has charcoal , is very
important. It filters the big stuff which saves the HEPA for the small
stuff, making it last longer. HEPA filters down to a few microns (very,
very, very small) but odors are smaller, the charcoal will absorb these. How
effective is this ? I have to remember to change the cat boxes because no
matter how bad things get I will never smell anything.

The other improvements to my environment are plants. They make O2 and love
the CO2 I make. They also transpire, shedding water into the air. I live in
the high desert so
a humidifier is a must. I find the ultrasonic ones the best as they are
clean. The cool mist is great to inhale first thing in the AM.

For $200 you can drastically improve the air quality of your home. Since you
spend a signioficant part of life there it seems money well spent.

James

emusic.com