Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jan 2, 2001  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] smoothing out the break

Things to concentrate on to "smooth out" the break(s):

Forward placement
Consistent resonance throughout the registers
Consistent breath management throughout the registers

It's easy, particularly when moving into the lower break, to allow the
placement to move backward in the mouth - focus on keeping it frontal,
"aiming" at the sinuses, even in the chest register.

It's also easy to allow breath compression ("support") to relax somewhat
when moving into the lower register. Don't do this.

Another thing to do might be to determine whether you're more successful
"smoothing" the break if you bring chest up a bit higher into the middle
register, or if you bring head down a little into the chest register. I
find that when I want a completely smooth break, it helps if I carry the
sensation of singing in "head/middle" voice down so I keep singing in that
voice on the break (passagio) note.

Similarly, to smooth the upper passagio, I find it helps to concentrate on
keeping the resonance consistent as I move into my head voice - this means
thinking vertically in two directions - not just moving the note up from
one register to another (like moving a box from one step up to another),
but actually "stretching" the sound both up and down as I sing the higher
note. I suspect what I'm doing is both unhinging a bit more and dropping
the larynx a bit, but I find that I have better success if I think in
terms of visual imagery - in terms of a counterweight dropping at the
same time the note is rising - and avoid thinking in literal physiological
terms.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: