Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 2, 2001  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Female High Registers and Opera

lloyd,

i believe it was your statement saying, and i paraphrase, that there is
more similarity in speech and singing than there are differences. all
singing is different from speech. some styles vary more from it than
others. ( and i don't think the closer it is the better. rap is the
closest and yet, i agree with greg allman, "rap is short for crap".)

i have a student who said that talking is like walking and singing is
like flying. an airplane flying does not impress me (they're airplanes,
they're supposed to fly). if i saw a human being fly, i would be completely
astonished. if a singer has to go to the length of being unrecognizable as
a human in order to sing, i am unimpressed. if a singer is recognizable as
human, that means something to me. patricia ewing's performance of 'non so
piu...' (as cherubino) has human hysteria to it and, it sounds like a boy
(that impresses me too). when a singer performs 'non so piu...' as if it
were some kind of instrumental, with grace and 'lovely tone' (and sounding
unlike a boy), they might as well fly an airplane across the stage.

it is not my impression that the female opera singer is using the sound
of hysteria. to me, it is closer to a pretentious, victorian warble.
actually, i think it is the type of singing that is furthest removed from any
kind of natural human vocal activity. i don't mean the use of 'head' voice,
i mean female operatic production. joni mitchell has certainly used a lot
of head voice throughout her career but, it is far more recognizably human
than that of a joan sutherland, for example.

freni singing 'butterfly' blows me away (like watching an eagle soar).
even sutherland singing 'in questa reggia' blows me away. kiri te kanawa
singing the third of strauss' 'four last songs' blows me away (the davis
recording not the solti). i'm not immune to being affected by the female
opera singer (and in the past i have mentioned singers who affect me in a
beautiful way) but, in my case, i think it is the type of singing that is
hardest to succeed at.

(i actually think moaning, for all voices, is closer to singing than
speech. the purest example i have ever heard of this is the singing of
natacha atlas.)

mike

emusic.com