Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Jan 1, 2001  4:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Purcell

> O.K. I'll change the question! What are listers' favourite Henry Purcell(of
> Dido and Aeneus's fame) songs, assuming that one still sings them?.Are there
> any that are really, really bad and best avoided?
>
> Regards
> Susi

"Assuming that one still sings them?" I suppose you're just getting our
attention! You
can probably tell by my sig that he's one of my favorites, and I sing him as
much as
possible.

"Hark the Echoing Air" is adorable, impressive, and vocally demanding. I've
been working
on it for years - I take it out every two years or so, and it always rewards my
improved
technique (this year, I think I'm finally starting to do it justice). And
performing it,
I never fail to get the audience laughing when Purcell's Cupids clap clap clap
their
wings.

Other favorites, besides "Music for a While" are "What Can We Poor Females
Do?", "I
Attempt from Love's Sickness to Fly", and "If Music Be the Food of Love",
either version.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...