Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Sun Dec 31, 2000  5:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Resonance and Tone Color

I believe that Jo Estill's research is primarily concerned with
establishing a common language for voice teachers and singers based on
scientific findings. I have found while fooling around with my own voice
that I can approach my voice from the "silly" angle and find the
scientific or I can reverse the approach. An example, My first voice
teacher would tell me to sing down to the notes, the result would be a
tilted thyroid and a simultaneous onset, although I didn't know that at
the time (late 60's). In Ms. Estill's approach you learn to tilt the
thyroid cartilage (and you can practice this silently so you can "hear"
the movement better) then when I add the tone, my goodness it feels to
me as if I were singing down to the tone.) I think it is very important
that as a teacher I can use both approaches with my students (and any
other that does the trick) since not all people learn the same way.

Anne Cronvich

emusic.com