Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  12:34 am
Subject:  Re: Piano for the classical singer

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Isabelle Bracamonte
> Why is
> it recommended for an adult to take up piano lessons?

Dear Isabelle -

I am taking piano lessons in the new year for several reasons:

1) It's hard for me to practice without accompaniment, and I find
recordings just don't cut it. I would like to be able to play
through a piece and accompany myself, to get the full feeling of the
musical piece I am singing - not just the vocal line. I want to not
have to be dependent on someone to always have to play for me because
I can't do it myself.

2) Playing piano will help make my musicianship excellent - I can't
see the notes I am singing, I just sing them! And I never have to sing
more than one note at one time :) But on the piano you have to know
your scales and understand harmonies and chords because you have to
mechanically move your fingers to specific positions - you can't go by
feel. In a sense, when you play piano, you are experiencing your
music theory, not just memorizing it or going over it in your head.
You have to do it with your fingers and your ears. Understanding
these things firsthand will make me a better, more valuable musician,
for my own pleasure, for my art, and for my employers.

3) Learning music from the perspective of a different instrument
greatly increases your own musical perspective. It's kind of like
thhe perspective you get after you've learned a language foreign to
your own. Through that language, you get to know a different way of
looking at the world, and you can incorporate what you've learned into
your own world view, making you a richer person. Learning different
musical perspectives makes you a richer musician.

How long it takes for you to learn all you can learn from the piano is
up to you. But the rewards are greater than just being able to play
through your roles.

Karena

emusic.com