Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  11:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MUSIC CLASSES FOR DEAF PEOPLE WAS:a call for peace

> What a hack is a deaf person doing in a piano class??? Have you guys heard
> supposing you're not that person ) of anything like that? It's the same
as
> imagining Stevie Wonder painting... I can't even imagine why he would do
> that if he can't enjoy the aesthetics involved in it... it's more like a
> Saturday Night Live sketch!
>
> I admit the irony, but it's a real question: does it exist???

It's a good question. Most people who are "deaf" are not actually 100%
deaf, and the same goes for those who are "blind." Most deaf people I have
met may not be able to hear well enough to carry on a conversation, but they
do hear things, and that includes vibrations. So it is more than possible
for a deaf person to play the piano and derrive enjoyment from it.

Fiona

emusic.com