Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  11:50 pm
Subject:  Re: ballet and singing

Dear Isabelle:
At my studio my best friend and I teach
a variety of things including voice/piano/
drama/dance/fitness.
Dance is wonderful for singers...they move
so much more gracefully on stage for one
and the stretching/toning/flexability thing is
another. I'm concerned that you are considering
taking so much ballet.
If you don't mind me asking..how old are you?
Ballet can do wild things to the body and the
sacrifice isn't worth it if you're not going to
become a prima ballerina.
We teach a lot of "theatre" dance which has
all the classical training exercises and barre
etc. but considers songs, characters and
acting abilities with the movements. There will
be roles you play (in opera and musical theatre)
that do not require or suggest a "balletic" style.
You might also want to try an adult jazz or
modern class to round out your exposure to
dance techniques.
Dance is about flexability, expression with the
body, how one carries oneself , grace, line,
posture etc.
I am a singer first, pianist second, actor third
and dancer last. I started dance at age 30
and cannot tell you the benefits I have gleaned
from my exposure to tap/jazz/lyrical/theatre/modern
styles.
Good luck in your pursuits...you do have a full
plate so remember to schedule in time for
relaxing, refueling your spirit and taking time to
laugh.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
"There's no business like show business"

Greypins@a...dorisopran@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7916 Re: ballet and singing Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  12/29/2000   3 KB
7929 Re: ballet and singing Greypins@a...   Sat  12/30/2000   2 KB
7933 Re: ballet and singing dorisopran@a...   Sat  12/30/2000   2 KB

emusic.com