Vocalist.org archive

From:  kerubiino@h...
kerubiino@h...
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  3:15 am
Subject:  Re: Ballet for the classical singer

Isabelle,

Good for you for thinking about taking ballet. I have several years
of classical ballet training under my belt and it has certainly
helped with my poise in adult life. Classical ballet is one of the
best, most comprehensive ways of physical excercise around. It is
also very, very difficult. I hope you find a good group where you
don't feel out of place. If you though that singing training was
brutal, well... ballet is an art that requires immense discipline.
Enough said.

You asked what else you should be doing. I have two suggestions: Yoga
and Alexander technique. I swear by both. (I haven't done ballet for
about 10 years and don't think I'll go back). Both Yoga and Alexander
are SO good for breathing, and that is SO good for singing. Alexander
technique is best if you take private lessons, with Yoga, you have
tons of choice. I think Bikram Choudhury teaches in California - I
urge you to try his program. Maybe more than ballet.

Best of luck, Kerubiino

emusic.com