Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  12:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP: English contemporary

Lynda, I have a few suggestions for you. If you are looking for something
light-hearted, look at the songs Lee Hoiby wrote for Leontyne Price: 'The
Serpent' is the best recital ender I know for a youthful soprano,
especially if she has a good range with a great high Bb. Also, on the
light-hearted side, both musically and textually, are 'Six Mehitabel
Magpies' by Colin Seamarks for soprano and double bass: don't be fooled
by the combination - they are very sophisticated and require good
musicianship, a well-developed technique and an overt vocal personality.
Another of my favorites, though they are done a great deal and require an
exceptional pianist, is 'Cantata' by John Carter: settings of negro
spirituals in an incredibly sophisticated manner, including a toccata on
'Ride On, King Jesus' in 5/4. Good luck and best, as always.

Mark Montgomery

> My daughter is searching for a set of songs to include on her senior
> (conservatory) recital. She needs English language songs, plus needs some
> length (therefore a set, rather than a single piece), and these songs must
> have been written in the last 40 years. She is a lyric soprano with a good
> high C and a clear middle and lower register, as well, and would like to find
> something unique...not TOO dark a text.

emusic.com