Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  8:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Reply to Rhiannon

>From: Maharishi Rhi <rhillewellyn@y...>
>
>Dr. Ludwig made statements regarding honesty, and
>integrity. She is firmly committed to both of those,
>in her life, and in her teaching. She was horrified,
>and rightly so, at learning that a TEACHER, one who
>should behave by the highest standards, seemed to
>think it was 'okay' to spread a story that was,
>admittedly by the person themselves, untrue.

I was going to send this privately, but since you decided to post your
response to P.J. to the list, here goes:

I'm assuming that Dr. Ludwig teaches in Wales? She might not be aware that
the legal standard for libel is *much* higher (or lower, depending on your
point of view) in the USA than it is in the UK. In the USA, Eileen Farrell
would be considered a "public figure." If she wanted to sue our Lloyd for
libel, she would have to demonstrate that 1) he knew that the story was
false and 2) that it caused measurable harm to her reputation. Since the
story apparently depicts Farrell as a strong, independent woman and artist,
it probably belongs in the same harmless category as the story about Michael
Jordan (or Shaquille O'Neal, or Rosie Grier, or Muhammed Ali) walking into
an elevator with a large dog.

>Dr. Ludwig has been searching other lists, and has
>found another list that is dedicated to honesty, and
>integrity. Since she left this list, she has joined
>the other, and has been welcomed with open arms, for
>her talent, her generosity and her knowledge. The
>list she has found, is for professionals only, so
>that, unfortunately, keeps most people on this list,
>off of the other one.

O dear. What's considered a professional? My main source of support is an
office job, but I get what my faithful Indian companion calls "peanut money"
from my church job and the occasional opera gig. (As far as the IRS is
concerned, it's a business.) The church's music director is officially
retired; would he be considered a professional?

[The Chestnut Brass has been known to introduce works by a certain famous
English composer in this fashion: "Henry the Eighth was like a lot of
people. He enjoyed composing and performing music, but he had to do
something else for a living."]

Now let me sing a gentler tune: I'm sorry to say that I've occasionally
overreacted myself to teasing, because of things in my life that I prefer
not to discuss. I recognized that that is what must have happened with Dr.
Ludwig. Perhaps if she was willing to share some of her experiences and
insights in teaching disadvantaged youth and handicapped persons, she would
find that most of us can be pretty darn nice.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"...and she knew that we are bound, one to another, in licentious
benevolence, for only a single day, and that day was nearly over." --John
Cheever, "Christmas Is a Sad Season for the Poor"