Vocalist.org archive

From:  Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Annie Hughes <aehughes@y...>
Date:  Thu Dec 28, 2000  3:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 12 Days - Alternate Lyrics

Good Lord...someone actually COMPLAINED about that
song?!?! People are just too nuts these days.

Or not nuts enough...

I studied with Edna J. Wood when I was young who was
Carol Burnett's voice teacher (before she was famous).
Miss Wood studied with Ernestine Schumann-Heinke - is
anyone familiar with her?

The discussion of mouth and jaw position has been
fascinating to me as Miss Wood always stressed "six
teeth" and no jaw dropping or jutting. She was quite
amazing - couldn't sing a note from the time I started
with her at 10 years of age (yes, I know - very young)
but she was the greatest teacher I ever had - very
physical and descriptive so my voice evolved in its
own sound without mimicking. When I went to college,
I studied with Rose Bampton at the Manhattan School of
Music and she nearly destroyed my voice - an opposite
approach to mouth, jaw and body position from what I
was used to. Fortunately, Miss Wood lived long enough
to get me back on track. Since my college days, the
only teacher I have trusted implicitly is Joan Lader,
with whom I studied for 3 years after "belting" out
broadway tunes nearly ruined me again.

HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">

http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

> "I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a
> and the spring-a"

=====
Annie Hughes
http://www.anniehughes.com
"And since life is the sound of the sheep
And the taste of the stew
And the way that you feel
When He touches you
Now your whole life is different