Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Wed Dec 27, 2000  10:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Reflux-again.

Dr. John Messmer writes:
>Reflux tends to cause reddening and swelling. This might lead to poor
>technique to compensate, but to my knowledge reflux per se does not cause
>nodules.

John is right, reflux can present as faulty technique and it can be a truly
elusive problem to try to diagnose. Student and teacher alike are
struggling to make sense of what is happening, and trying everything! A
student of mind recently was diagnosed with reflux, and it was a HUGE
relief to know what was causing the persistent vocal symptoms of 1) slight
breathiness and elevated pitch in her speaking voice which seemed like she
had been oversinging and pushing when she did sing 2) long long warm-up
necessary to get the voice going 3) no ability to start from a "small
place" in her voice or sing a "fil" (slender thread) of sound. The ENT
noticed that her arytenoids were swollen and red and this prevents the
cords from coming together cleanly. My dear student is now a much much
happier camper, now that we know what was wrong and has some medication.
It all makes sense.
Best,
Karen Jensen

emusic.com