Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Dec 27, 2000  9:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Mouth opening?

In a message dated 12/27/2000 3:20:32 PM Central Standard Time,
nubian2@h... writes:
nubian2@h... writes:

<< I just find it weird though, because I have always been told to open
your mouth really wide, but when I am singing at my most relaxed, I look in
the mirror and my mouth is not very wide (except when I go past the second G
after middle C (I'm a mezzo........) >>

Sounds logical to me! I'm a firm believer that you need more "space" as you
go up, but I prefer to think of it as height rather than a big cavernous
opening. I tell my beginning students to put their index fingers at the
"hinge" in front of their ears and their little fingers on their chins and
open their mouths as much as is needed to feel a "hole" under their index
fingers and the down and back feel of the jaw dropping. (Sorry to use all
the quote marks, but I'm using terms that work for me and may not for
everyone else.) Sometimes that space isn't all that big - it depends on your
individual mouth size.

George Shirley says that if you thwack your cheek with your middle finger
while your mouth is open and listen carefully, you can tune the pitches to
the amount of the opening and that will tell you just how much your mouth
needs to be open. I find that I wind up with a black-and-blue face trying
this, but when the pain subsides, it does work.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com